Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Raj Mahal, Jeju-si

Met up with The Jeju Weekly writing staff a couple of Fridays ago to share a dinner together at the new Indian restaurant, Taj Mahal. It was good to finally meet everyone and see what kind of people I'm working with on this paper.

As long as anyone can remember, Bagdad Cafe has been the be all and end all for good curry on this island, but now it has some competition.


Located about four blocks from T.H.E. H.O.T.E.L (Vegas Club) in Sin-Jeju, Raj Mahal can be a bit confusing to find.

Upon entering the restaurant, I felt that it wasn't as atmospheric nor did it seat as much capacity as Bagdad, however, the restaurant still provided some nice seating with comfortable chairs and couches.



I went with some onion vaji for my starter:


I thought it was a bit greasy, but then again, I've never had onion vaji before. I was hoping for something more crispy. Priced at 5,000 won.

For my meal, I went with chicken tikka masala, always a good choice in my opinion, with some garlic nan. The service was kind of slow, and it took a while for everyone to get both their meals and side dishes.


All in all, the curry was good, but not great; I must say that I prefer Bagdad. Sure Raj Mahal has more items on the menu, but as my favourite television chef, Gordon Ramsay, says, "We're as good as our last meal," and Bagdad has never given me anything less than great.

2 comments:

bblue said...

i would like to tell you one thing that in korea mostly indian restaurents are not real indian restaurent. actually pakistan peoples run those restaurents by indian names. In korea there are only few real indian restaurents in big cities

bblue said...

i would like to tell you one thing that in korea mostly indian restaurents are not real indian restaurent. actually pakistan peoples run those restaurents by indian names. In korea there are only few real indian restaurents in big cities