Thursday, December 17, 2009

It's not all sunshine and rainbows

So it's been really cold the last few days and as a result it's beginning to snow. I've been walking to work for about the last two weeks because it has just been too cold to even get on my scooter even with winter gloves, a winter coat and a face/neck warmer.

On the upside, we may have a white Christmas here in Jeju. Many people are already on vacation or will be soon, especially those working for EPIK.

Everyone gets Christmas and New Years off, and some, like me, have been awarded consecutive four-day weekends. My holiday plans revolve around attempting to make some eggnog and putting together a deliciously home-cooked Christmas dinner with friends.

It's going to be a nice break, but there will be moments of grief as some people are nearing their last days here on the island. Just yesterday my long-time co-teacher Brian informed me that he will be moving to Seoul in the New Year.

He's been a good friend and has taken care of any work related problems that I've had with extreme efficiency. He's not the most outgoing person, but he is a wise teacher with more than 10 years of experience. I don't know what I'll do without him.

With his departure, I now move into the position of being the veteran teacher at my hagwon. I'm certainly not the oldest teacher nor do I have the most experience, but I have been with my school longer than any of the remaining teachers.

It'll be interesting to see how things unfold over the next few weeks. Saying goodbye isn't something I want to get used to, but I know that it's part of being a teacher and a guest in a foreign land. Nothing lasts forever.

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." ~Robert Southey

No comments: