Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Attack of the Oranges!

Jeju oranges are well known across the island and are quite refreshing at any point of the day. I knew before I arrived that the island was well known for its fruit, but I had no idea just how extensive this was.

I first noticed the groves of oranges on my ride back from Mt. Hallasan and I was quite surprised. All along the countryside and even within the city are groves upon groves of oranges. There will be no outbreak of scurvy that's for sure...



The Jeju mandarins which are a somewhat yellow-orange, start to bloom in the autumn, so I've "picked" (pardon my pun) a good time to come to the island to enjoy its fruits. I pretty much have oranges everyday: for breakfast, lunch, and snacks at school.



There is also many spots where you can actually go and pick your own, something which I'll have to look more into in the days ahead. I didn't notice it when I first got here, but even behind my apartment/house there is a grove. Maybe my next door neighbour will let me pick a few...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you look on Google Earth, the whole island is covered in orange groves.
I hear they're great with scrambled eggs and toast:-)

Dad