Sunday, February 1, 2009

The End of an Era

As another month rolls by here on Jeju, I feel as though the winds have begun to change. Nothing lasts forever, and my time here is quickly passing me by. I've met a lot of new friends, but as English teachers, we're never quite sure where our teaching will take us next. As some of us get closer to our contracts' conclusion, we must once again shift our focus to the future, and the road before us.

One evening, almost two years ago, two friends were discussing an idea they each shared. One was an aspiring photographer, the other an enthusiastic journalist, together they created Jeju Life: a magazine covering all the wonderful aspects that this island has to offer. It was something that not only those on the island could enjoy, but all foreigners in Korea as well as those living abroad.

Sadly, the Editor-In-Chief, Jim Saunders, is stepping down from his position with the magazine. Jim has worked diligently these last years putting together the magazine and has done an excellent job with it. Now that his time here in Korea is coming to an end, its time for him to think of his own future and career. Brian Miller, whom would have been taking his position, is now focusing his attention on putting together a photographic book about his time here on Jeju.

As for all of the other contributors to the magazine, I'm sure they will miss it, but its something that everyone eventually has to deal with; As one chapter ends, another begins.

So as the final articles for Jeju Life are being published, take the time to look over them and admire what the staff has managed to accomplish. My first video, and maybe my last for the magazine, will also soon be available through the website. You can also find it under my Videos section here on my blog.

2 comments:

Pat Moll said...

Good stuff. What video editing software do you use? Crap, I hadn't heard that JL was coming to an end, that's too bad.

Jroc said...

I use Final Cut Pro 6.0 for editing. It is sad news about Jeju Life, something that I don't think most people know about yet.