Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The sandwich that almost killed me

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't posted any blog entries as of late, one of the reasons is because of an incident that occurred last wednesday night. Its something that is quite common when traveling abroad, and Jeju island is no exception. I'm referring to food poison that is. It was the first time I've ever had it, and from what I've been told, it probably won't be the last.

Its an excruciating process that can normally only be solved by a trip to the hospital for an intravenous treatment. As such was the case for me.

Wednesday evening, 6:04 pm: Mike and I decide to get some dinner, Mr. Pizza was our decision. Ordered "Golden Potatoe Deluxe" pizza; it was decent.



7:22 pm: We head to a nearby Jimgilbang for some relaxation and refreshment.

9:54 pm: After nearly passing out from the heat, we opt to get some drinks at Milano's, a bar and restaurant overlooking Seogwipo Harbour.

11:10 pm: We grab a cab back to Mike's apartment building. We both decide to head to the GS25 for some supplies before going our separate ways. I buy a ham & cheese sandwich; biggest mistake ever.



2:01 am: I start to feel violently ill, and I curl up in my bed shivering.

11:22 am: After throwing up multiple times and getting almost no sleep, I decide its time to call it quits and get to a doctor. I call my director at the school and inform him of my situation.

12:01 pm: I arrive at the hospital with one of my co-teachers only to find that all the staff has just gone on lunch until 2:00 pm. I feel terrible; I throw up again. My co-worker Jessica brings me into the ER room, where they quickly analyze my problem and decide to give me an IV. I am completely exhausted by this point, and am unable to hold even water down. A cute nurse gives me a shot in the butt and hooks the IV up to my arm. I'm told I'll have to stay until I finish the fluids, which will take several hours.

12:44 pm: I am drifting in and out of consciousness, I can hear Jessica whispering prayers from a booklet in her hands.

3:15 pm: I awake from a somewhat more relaxed state to see another of my co-workers, a teacher whom just left the school last month. We discuss our Korean New Year's plans. I'm feeling better, so Jessica and I decide to leave. I'm given several packets of pills and liquids as medication.

4:55 pm: I arrive home and immediately pass out on my bed.

The last couple of days have been a lot better, but the first days back from the ER were rough. One night I almost thought I was going to throw up again and would have to go back to the hospital. All this pain from one little sandwich. Its something that you know about, but you never think it will happen to you. Some have been lucky to go without it happening during their stay on the island. For the rest, its a initiation test for living abroad; I passed...this time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*whistles* Good to hear you're getting better though!

~Chris M

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better. Food poisoning is nothing to ignore as it can cause kidney failure and worse. Best to eat well cooked and freshly made.

MMM