Thursday, May 28, 2009

More Scootin'

After Matt and I finished our war ride to 알뜨르 Alddreu Airfield, we decided to make a short stopover at the Yongmeori cliffs and Sanbangsan. As we came over a crest in the road, heading towards Sagye-ri harbour, we were presented with a magnificent view of the coast; truly breathtaking.



Every time I go for one of these rides in the morning, it just makes me feel so good. Your stress just drifts away as you take in the fresh air and scenic view. It makes me appreciate what I have here so much more, and the opportunities I've been blessed with since coming to Jeju.

We parked up near the major tourist lot at the base of Sanbangsan, and then walked down the stairs to the cliffs. There are so many touristy outlets and stops along the way, it's almost overwhelming. Even the horses seem bored with it.



The Yongmeori cliffs however, are a different story. They're absolutely beautiful, and worth the twenty minute or so trek around them, despite how crowded they are. Jeju has so many interesting rock formations, and this is definitely one of them:



Once you come around the corner, you get a great view of Sanbangsan and the cliffs, with Hwasun beach just off to your right. It's a great place for walking and taking some time just to enjoy yourself.



Matt's memory card on his camera was full, so he started "panic deleting " in order to capture some of the amazing sights. When we finished the cliffs, we had just enough time to scale Sanbangsan and check out the sacred shrine at the top.

On our way up, we stopped for some ice cream, and checked out some of the temple grounds they have. Checking out the view, I can see why the monks stick around to put up with the amount of tourists that come through.



I've been up twice now and both times there was a rooster just chilling out near some stone tablets close to the main temple hall; perhaps his coop is nearby, or maybe he just walks around as he pleases.



The view from Sanbangsan is supposedly one of the top ten views on Jeju. From the lookout point, about halfway up, I can see why.

Matt and I spot some falcons hovering high above taking part in some sort of mating ritual. The male clasps a dead bird in his talons, and then presents it to the female by dropping it mid-flight for her. I didn't get a chance to see it in action, but Matt tells me it's a pretty unique sight.



As we get closer to the sacred shrine, we come into another impressive view of the coast from the stairs. It's hard to believe I was just down there moments ago, driving along the coast. Everything seems so close, yet still very much open, sacred, and beautiful.



There is always at least one monk stationed at the sacred shrine, whom is normally just relaxing on this bedded area. There is an assortment of statues, figurines, and books; you could almost live up there.



The sacred water is always a nice treat, especially after a vigorous climb like ours. Matt puts a 1,000 won bill in the donation box, I put in several last time so I figure I'm still paid up for now.



With the clock striking noon, Matt and I go our separate ways. The drive home is short, but the memories will be long remembered.

No comments: