Sunday, December 14, 2008

Chillin' at Gecko's

The last week has not been particularly eventful and I have spent most of it trying to recover from a cold, so I haven't had much to write about. This Saturday I decided it was time to rejoin society and really boost my health by knocking back a few pints of guinness (actual draft guinness) from the local foreigner friendly spot, Gecko's Island.

Known to most around here simply as "Gecko's", it is a kind of pub or grill that you can normally find back home just about anywhere. Here on Jeju it offers not only a taste of western cooking, but a fun and familiar atmosphere as well. Gecko's is about a 20-25 minute drive from downtown Seogwipo, and from where I am, near World Cup Stadium, it is only about a 10 minute cab ride costing around 6000 won.

Last night was the 1st anniversary of Gecko's, so the staff were celebrating by having a free BBQ out on the patio. I arrived to meet up with Brian, whom I met last week at the gallery in Jeju-si, and he was kind enough to introduce me to his friends and the foreigner crew that frequent the place.



After showing up, I quickly learned of the free food and made my way to the patio. Plenty of ribs, chicken, sausages, and pork cutlets to go around, not to mention a salad bar with some bread...no butter though. After making quick work of my food, I joined in on a game of darts that was going on. I wasn't very good, but hopefully that will change with time...



A pint or two later, everyone was having a great time. I was surprised how busy the place got, and even more surprised by the fact that there was Korean children running around everywhere. I was told that it was pretty common, because of the pension (a kind of inn or motel) next door. Overall it was a pretty good night, I made some new friends and I'm sure I'll be back again soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the layout and design of your blog posts. Especially the video elements. Better than a still image.

Do you know Seesmic (http://www.seesmic.com/)?

It's a place to blog (well that's one of the things it is!) using video.

As for Gecko's. The location is still problematic. That's a 6,000 won cab ride from the World Cup Stadium. More from downtown Seogwipo. And of course if you're a visitor from Jeju City, a visit adds up to even more.

Jroc said...

Just one of the benefits of living in Seogwipo. ;)