Friday, December 5, 2008

Let it snow

So I walked out of my apartment this morning, and to my surprise, there was snow on the ground...and in the air. It was snowing...how can this be?



Well today was probably the coldest it has been since I arrived, and it will even get down to a low of 1 degree Celsius tonight. While the weekly forecast looks to be a lot warmer come next week (as high as 17), it is still something to see so much snow (only a few centimetres) in an area that otherwise doesn't get this much this early into December.

Driving conditions are probably the biggest threat to the area, as most roads for those traveling between the cities are extremely dangerous and likely to have black ice in some areas. It took some of the teachers coming from Jeju-si (Jeju city) almost an hour and a half to get to the school, in what normally would take half that time.

During the day it got even worse, as winds picked up and snow was blazing in every direction. Students were even squatting around the personal heaters we have in the school with their winter coats and mitts on. It reminded me of an average day back in Canada, but something that I wasn't really prepared for here.

Today was the day I finally broke down and bought a winter coat, as per my director's advice, and it was probably a good idea, as I was feeling a bit cold with only my sweater to keep me warm. We are also planning to make our third trip up the volcano next week and the new coat will surely help. I spent about 39,000 won on a decent coat at E-mart, which is relatively cheap compared to anything I could get back home for the same quality. Together with my hat and gloves, I only need to get some ice spikes and I'll be ready for anything that the mountain can throw at me...except maybe an avalanche.



When I got home I took a look out on my balcony...not the most pleasant sight, but a familiar one at the very least.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that must be that semi tropical snow they were talking about!!!