Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Return to Halla Mountain

Since coming to the island, I have had the opportunity to climb the tallest mountain in Korea several times. This week was my third trip to climb it's great snowy peak, and while it was the same trail I have travelled before, I always find something new and inspiring about it each time I go.

However, before I go into detail about my newest adventure, I thought I would take a few moments to talk about another favourite pastime of mine here on Jeju; Eating out. The food here can be quite good, but also quite bad; it all depends on your perspective and preferences. I admit I am not a big sea food enthusiast, which to many on the island would be a shock, considering most diets here include some sort of fish or seafood.

Having established that fact, I am finding many meals that I do enjoy. One of my favourites so far has been meat: beef, pork, chicken, everything I have tried so far has been delicious...which begs the question, should I eat dog?

Almost everyone in North America would choke on the idea, if not be outright offended at someone eating a dog. Obviously there are some issues that I struggle with mentally, but having spoken with the locals here and many of my foreigner friends, it doesn't seem that odd to them, and the idea, I must admit, is beginning to grow on me.

The dogs are raised like any other livestock and are probably treated with the same abuse that every other animal goes through before its killed. Meat is meat, and as long as the animal goes to good use, I don't have a problem with it...if I did, I would be a vegetarian. I have been invited out a few times to try dog soup, which I've been told by many is quite good, but will I still be thinking of some poor dog when a hot bowl of soup is front of me? I don't know, but I'll probably find out soon enough...

Getting back to meat, on monday the teaching staff at our school went out for dinner. This time we chose a place that was more convenient for everyone, as it was not fair to those traveling back to Jeju city to eat somewhere in downtown Seogwipo. It was some place past the Jungmun resort area, and was more secluded than the last restaurant we went to. Again we had pork, and it was served in a similar table grill fashion...yum!



Having used chopsticks almost exclusively since arriving here six weeks ago, I am quickly becoming adept. The compliments being thrown my way also help out too.

As I have discussed before, the pork here is eaten in a kind of lettuce leaf folding fashion, where you bundle everything together and pop it in your mouth. The assortment of side dishes that go with it are also very tasty: onion salad, red bean chili paste, soy sauce soaked spicy peppers, kimchi (radish, cucumber, and the traditional cabbage style), garlic cloves, and salt in a sesame oil. Mix together what you want and enjoy, its as simply as that.

After the main course, many people usually go with a noodle dish. The options: spicy, or non spicy. Both are served in a giant bowl with ice, and could be considered a meal themselves...



Usually there is half a boiled egg placed on top of them as well, mix it up and serve. By this time, I am usually too full having eaten my weight in pork. After the meal, we were served a small cup of coffee...just perfect I thought. After exchanging a few stories, we decided to call it a night, as some of us had to be up early the next morning to climb a volcano.

We decided we would leave a bit earlier this time, hoping to spend more time in the sauna afterwards. We started our hike at about 6:45 in the morning and it was still dark out. I opted for the ice spikes this time, as it seemed like there was more snow on the ground.

Only a few nights ago, we had a full moon, so the moonlight helped our way through the woods as we began our journey. It was also incredibly beautiful.



This time I brought along some jeju orange chocolate to snack on while we rested, not bad, but orange chocolate isn't exactly my favourite. Perhaps a bit colder and with a little more snow than last time, its still such a marvelous sight to behold. I think I'm also getting more used to the climb as well, as I no longer need so many breaks before the midway rest station.



Taking a deep breath, I look out over the landscape, as the morning fog slowly rolls over the mountain and down onto the hills below. It gives such a calming and peaceful sense; I could sit there all day...but I can't, so I get up and continue on my trek.



The snow covered trees look like frozen works of art; the wind is their sculptor. I stop to snack on an orange, and pose with a friend for the camera.



Finally, the sun rises from behind the great cliff, shining its light onto the Oreum below. Looking out on the horizon, it feels like I'm above the clouds, entering the realm of the mountain gods.



I walk through the forest looking for familiar sights, and I find a few new ones. The best part is coming up, leaving the woods behind, and walking onto the plain on the top of the mountain. The fluffy clouds and snow look like mirror images, like a reflection in water.



Stopping for a quick drink at the river, we head off for our traditional feast; ramyon. Nothing like a hot cup of noodles on a cold day. Throw in an egg roll (like an omelette rolled up), some kimchi, and coffee, and you have yourself a perfect meal. Its 9 am and we decide its time to head back. Time for Jimgilbang (a sauna room and bath spa).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great photos, talk about a "winter wonderland". You're very lucky to see such great sights. MMM