Monday, April 13, 2009

A change in the game

Recently I've been asked by Marcie Miller to write for the newly established "Jeju Weekly" tabloid, whose goal is to bring more international recognition to Jeju as well as establish an English paper here on the island.

After meeting with Marcie and her associate, Prof. Kim Gyong Ho, this morning, we discussed several ideas about integrating my video skills into the upcoming Jeju Weekly website, and about writing articles for the paper as well.

The professor seemed quite pleased with the work I've done thus far through my blog, which I appreciate, so I will now be writing articles for the paper. I'll be using my accumulative knowledge to put together similar pieces on travel destinations and leisure/sport activities.

Brian Miller has also been recruited for his photography skills, and our first assignment will be to cover the KLPGA's MBC Lotte Mart Ladies Open, which starts this Wednesday. The tournament will take place at the Sky Hill Golf Club on Jeju and boasts 300,000,000 won in prize money, with 60,000,000 won going to first place. The course is a par 72 with 6,330 yards of play:


Apparently the world-famous Korean golfer Michelle Wie is competing in the tournament, so it should be quite a busy day with media, despite it being held during the work week.


Last time I remember hearing about Michelle Wie was this past summer, when she played in the CN Canadian Women's Open at my previous place of employment, The Ottawa Hunt and Golf Club. I had just finished a documentary DVD for their 100th anniversary before the the tournament, which was published along with a book about the club's history.

I remember when I found out about the RCGA choosing the club for the open, at the time I was raking bunkers for the grounds crew; everyone was really excited about it. It was the perfect way to celebrate their 100th anniversary, I'm just glad I could contribute something to the occasion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, expanding your horizons is always beneficial.
MMM