Monday, April 6, 2009

Water weather

As it's starting to get warmer and warmer here on the island, I've been discussing with some friends about getting into some more water related activities, such as surfing and scuba diving.

My main interest however is in capturing footage with my Canon HV30 camcorder. I'm interested in getting some footage of Jeju surfers and particularly some shots under water in and around the many islets that inhabit the waters here.

The problem with this is that I will require some sort of protection from the water, so that my camera will continue to function without getting salty water/air into its mechanism. Here's a professional water video housing kit designed by Ikelite:


The only problem is that the housing kit costs as much as the camera itself, if not more. There are certainly other options, but the alternatives seem a little too farfetched and beyond my skill.

Another option I've been thinking about is getting a digital camera that can also shoot video under water. The good thing with this option is that it will be a lot cheaper, and I'll finally have a digital camera to take pictures with.

One that has caught my eye is the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW which is shockproof up to 7 ft, waterproof up to 33 ft, freezeproof up to 14 degrees fahrenheit, and can withstand 220 lbs of pressure.

There are also floating straps available, so that if you lose the camera, it will simply float to the surface.

Looking even further, another option would be for me to get the water housing kit for my flip mino:


It looks quite functional and is certainly more affordable. I guess the only question now is how much am I willing to spend to get the kind of video quality I want? I guess I should start saving...

No comments: