Thursday, April 16, 2009

Playing in the sand with 미셸위 (Michelle Wie)

Wednesday morning 5:55 am, I awake to the annoying alarm of my watch; I lie in bed for another few minutes, hoping that when I check my watch again I'll have another few hours of sleep. Finally I muster the energy to get up and proceed immediately to the washroom to try and force myself awake.

I open the bathroom door to the most frightening sight, Brian Miller dancing like an ecstatic madman. After regaining my senses I put on some upbeat music to get ourselves in the mood for an adventurous day. Whilst I prepare some eggs and bagels for breakfast, Brian tends to his hair, like the pretty boy he is.

With the clock ticking down, we grab our things and rush out of the door to meet up with our new colleague, Prof. Kim Gyong Ho. Together we ride out to the Sky Hill Golf Club, where the KLPGA's MBC Lotte Mart Ladies Open awaits us...and Michelle Wie.

It took a bit of convincing, but eventually the press give us the passes we need, and we're now free to roam about the course; I feel like someone has just given me the key to the chocolate factory.

It's an early morning, and a beautiful one at that. Sanbangsan is silhouetted through the fog as the sun begins to the dry the morning dew. I feel a sense of anticipation, the kind of feeling a golfer knows best, the feeling of unlimited possibilities and a terrain to be conquered.



I arm myself with my camera and begin to shoot at will, looking for that certain something that will establish the mood. Brian looks uninterested, he waits for his queen of golf. Around the practice green other ladies are warming up, looking to make their mark and earn themselves a title.

There is barely any other media around, a few men with cameras, but the day is still young and she has yet to arrive. I convince Brian to come check out some of the other players teeing off.



After roaming back and forth between the press room, starting tees, and the practice range and green, we finally spot her. At first there is not even a whisper, but a crowd is already forming. I look to Brian and we instantly know without saying a word to each other.



We both join in on the shooting gala, attempting to take some unique shot that is beyond the capabilities of any camera. She almost seems to emitting her own aura, and it's sponsor is nike: nike shoes, nike hat, nike clothes, and probably even her sunglasses too.


Brian and I move towards the starting tee, where a line of press is already waiting. Cameramen analyze the terrain, Brian and I get into position and silently wait.

She arrives along with her competitors and one by one they hammer their ball into the distance. The group immediately springs into motion, trying to beat the players to their next shot. The players strike again and all land safely on the green. Wie sinks it in one, earning a birdie.

The sun is starting to really heat things up; I'm glad I remembered to bring sunblock. Everyone approaches the next tee and the players get into position. Like an automatic slingshot Wie launches her ball over the horizon towards the great Hallasan.



Brian is quick to move into action and sprints together with the MBC camera crew to get ready for the next shot. She arrives on the green again in two, but goes wide on the hole to keep par.

We wait on the third tee while the group ahead plays on. Finally play is resumed, and the players continue their round. As we move up towards the hole, the players take their time in the approach, deciding how best to bridge the gap to the green.



The other two players strike first, landing safely on the green; Wie comes up short, landing in a bunker. Brian grins, he'll finally get the bunker shot he's been waiting for. I'm slower on the draw, and get there a little too late, but still manage to get some video as she fails to clear the sand trap in her first attempt.

Brian bids me well as the rest of the group continues onto the next hole. His time is up, he has to return back to the real world, leaving this fantastical land behind; I must continue my work alone.

Minutes later, after they tee off on the fourth hole, something happens; Wie loses her ball temporarily in some brush on the far-side of the cart path. A member of the crowd spots it under a nearby tree, completely blocked by branches and tall grass. They call for an official, and Wie has to drop the ball within two club lengths of its position, which turns out to be on the pavement of the cart path.


She drops the ball and it bounces several times, stopping directly in the middle of the path. The crowd looks on in amazement, no one could have foreseen anything like this. Calmly, her caddy hands her an iron, and she unloads one of the most powerful and impressive shots I've ever seen; there is not even a scratch on the pavement.

Unfortunately, her ball doesn't find as deserving a place. Once again she's landed in the bunker, this time she clears it easily landing just short of the green.



She finishes the hole with a double bogey and is slightly losing her pace in the round. The next hole is a 92 yard par 3, and everything goes much more smoothly. She keeps par, but will need more than that to take the lead.

With a few words from her caddy, she steps onto the next tee with a renewed sense of concentration.



Her efforts start to show, as she keeps par and has a few chances for birdie over the next two holes.



The eighth hole is a 124 yard par 3 and a good chance at improving her round.



She misses a six foot putt, but it doesn't phase her. As we move onto the ninth tee, I check my watch. I've got time enough for the hole, then I have to hand in my badge and glass slippers.



With yet another excellent drive, Wie edges past the competitors' shots and within one shot of the green on a par 5. Her next shot lands just shy of the green in yet again another bunker. I'm beginning to think that she likes playing in the sand. She chips it onto the green for an easy birdie, and finishes the front nine one over par.

I head back into the clubhouse and turn in my pass, catching a cab back home. I learn later that she finishes the day with a 77, five over par. I couldn't make it out for the second day, but she didn't make the cut for the final day. It's a shame she didn't make it into the final round, but it was a nice opportunity to get my feet wet, and prepare myself for the bigger tournament next week.

Amazing photographs provided by Brian Miller

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You obviously know nothing about golf.

You start out saying, "It costs her two strokes, and possibly the match."

Huh? This isn't match play, it's stroke play. She was competing in Round 1 against 107 other golfers, not against the two others in her three-some. The "match" (or rather the tournament) was not decided until the third day, not on the first day.

Her round of 77 put her out of the running to win, but not for the reason you stated.

She did make the cut, contrary to what you said. However, the cut was not decided after Day 1. It was decided after Day 2.

Good luck learning before you write.

Jroc said...

I'm aware that it wasn't match play, I made a mistake, and worded it incorrectly.

Also, I meant that she didn't make the cut for the final round, not the second day. I've edited the entry to reflect the changes.

I'm not a journalist by profession, just a simple English teacher and a video enthusiast, so you'll have to excuse my errors...I'm still learning.

Anonymous said...

I know nothing about golf so any mistakes in regards to the subtleties and nomenculture of the sport eluded me. That being said, I thought your "blow by blow" descriptions gave intrigue and inspiration for me to read along and follow you through your morning. I wanted more.
Despite this being your first year of journalistic endeavour, I found this article a most exciting read.
I also enjoyed the videos as they gave insight into the "hustle and bustle" surroundng these golf tournaments. Who knows, it may even stimulate an interest in golf for all us non-golfers.
Keep up the good work, it's all a learning exerience.

Anonymous said...

Despite any golf wording inaccuracies, this was way more exciting than reading it in the newspaper. Congrats on a job well done. Nice video.

Anonymous said...

Nice venture into the world of golf. My knowledge of golf is pitiful but I really enjoyed reading about these adventures of yourself and Michelle Wie. Everyone has a bad day and it sounds like she kept her cool and kept trying despite some bad breaks. Success is achieved by continuing to get up after stumbling over the bumps we meet along the way.
MMM