Thursday, March 19, 2009

해동검도

해동검도 or Haidong Gumdo, is a traditional Korean martial arts practice using swords. Its very similar to Japanese Kendo, and differs in only cultural characteristics and methods.

Over the past few weeks I've been looking to get into some marital arts, mostly to add some more exercise to my daily routine. After speaking with a few friends, I decided upon Gumdo, which is only a few blocks from my apartment, and just down the street from my school.

Brian had been going to the gym for several years, before moving to Jeju-si last month, so I knew I'd probably be welcomed there. For about 80,000 won a month, I get a daily schedule of workout routines, sword training (with free access to their swords), and a free uniform.

Yesterday was my first class, and I thought I was going to die. I've been through some intense workouts before, but I guess the master wanted to break me in, by seeing how long it would take until I collapsed; my back and muscles were sore for the rest of the day, but that didn't stop me from going back again this morning.

Today's workout was a bit more relaxed and having gone through it once before, I knew what to expect. There were some other newer faces, who looked very much like I did the day before after doing some brief exercises.

Supposedly the first month is the worst, once I can get myself through it, I'll be a lot more prepared for what comes next.

Thank god Korea has energy drinks...

No comments: