Thursday, March 26, 2009

Jeju Horses

Jeju horses are known as somewhat of an island treasure, there have been studies into its nutritional properties, there are even records of Jeju horses being used as tribute, and the island as a location to raise Mongolian stock:

According to the records, during the year of 1073 (King Munjong of Joseon dynasty) and the year of 1258 (King Gojong of Joseon dynasty), Jeju horses were paid in tribute to the Won dynasty of China. In 1273 (King Wonjong), Won dynasty set up ranches in Jejudo, where the Mongolian horses were raised.


I've been to the Ma Park and have even tried 말 고기 (horse meat) before, but I wasn't aware that they were also used in fights.

Brian in Jeollanam-do, posted about it and informed me that there is an annual horse festival in the fall in which they hold these fights; they're also held during the fire festival.

I went to the fire festival, and I do recall horses, but people were riding them, and there were some of the Mongolian performers with them as well...I just assumed maybe it was part of advertising for the Ma Park, but maybe it wasn't.

There are plenty of extravagant animals on this island, horses being one of them, but I don't agree with them being used in fights for entertainment value, even if it is "simply observing nature in action."

No comments: