Thursday, March 26, 2009

Calling in sick?

I've had a cold since Sunday, and it just doesn't seem to want to go away. It has put a hold on my Kumdo, which is partly a blessing, since I was still aching Sunday evening, and was curious as to how my body would be after a full week of constant physical abuse...guess I'll find out next week.

All of the teachers at my hagwon are either sick or getting sick, so it's been a slow and messy process of teaching kids this week. Should I call in sick? While most people would take a day off or two, at hagwons this is simply not an option. Unless you are dying/dead or have to go to the hospital for emergency surgery, then you're expected to show up and teach your class; no matter how sick you may look or feel.

This is one drawback that comes with working at a hagwon. If I were in EPIK, I would have 14 sick days to use. I know some friends who've called in sick just because they've overslept by 30 minutes; sometimes it makes me cry, but then I remember I don't have to get to my classes until two in the afternoon and then I smile again...and cough.

3 comments:

Brian said...

Have other teachers at the hagwon taken time off? Among the foreign teachers at my old hagwon we understood that you sometimes needed to take sick days. It meant we had to cover classes, but we helped each other out. However, sometimes our Korean bosses wouldn't let us take sick days. I tried once---when I lost my voice and the doctor said not to speak for three days---but the school told me I had to come to work and give the kids work to do. The boss said parents would complain if a Korean teacher covered the class (you know, a Korean teacher who could actually teach that day, rather than a white guy who couldn't).

I do have 15 sick days a year now, I think, but it's really not acceptable to take sick days. I've taken three the past two years, and two of those times were when I knew I didn't have any classes that day. You're expected to show up no matter what . . . sleeping on your desk in the office is fine, but just be there. One reason why so many people seem sick at school is because so many people are sick at school. If people just stayed home once in a while maybe everyone wouldn't be so contagious . . . but then again I have to admire them taking work seriously and trying to make a day of it.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of reality. Be brave, be tough. MMM

Jroc said...

None of the teachers have taken a sick day, one of them even lost their voice and was still around. He eventually went home a bit early, but was still around for almost all of his classes.

I've missed one day so far, but that was from food poisoning, something which I hope won't happen again.

I think I have three sick days in my contract, which require a notice from a doctor. I definitely agree with the sickness going around, people just need to get away from the environment for a day or two to let their immune system catch up.

They do seem really dedicated to coming to work though, even if it is mess sometimes.