Sunday, March 29, 2009

Jeju-si mission

This past Friday, Matt and I went into Jeju city on a mission: to find him a scooter and to register my change of address. We both had to work in the afternoon, so we left Seogwipo around 8:30, giving us enough time to meander around a bit. When we arrived, we grabbed some quick refreshments and started our search for the scooter shop behind the bus terminal.

Despite our best efforts, we failed to locate the scooter shop for the second time in a row. This time we decided to give him a call and figure our exactly where we should be going.

For anyone who's been interesting in renting or buying scooters on Jeju, one place you should check out in Jeju-si is Mr. Lee's bike shop. If you're exiting the bus terminal, go right and it's about three blocks (or the first intersection with lights) before you need to take another right.

After that, it's only a block away and on the opposite side of the street. You can find a map with directions plus all the rental and contact information here.



He's got a pretty big selection of new bikes and scooters, and has a few used ones for sale as well. If you're looking for something, he's probably your best bet to find it, especially if you don't know much Korean.



I managed to find myself a helmet that fit my huge head that also had a visor, so that I wouldn't have to worry anymore about wind and bugs flying into my face while driving; bonus!

After Matt sized up a few scooters, he took one for a test drive and fell in love; not long after he closed the deal and we were off to phase II of our Jeju-si mission.

We hopped into a cab and headed for City Hall, where the Civil Service centre is located, and where I needed to go to register my change of address.

When you move from one apartment to another in Korea, you need to register your change of address within 14 days of your move, so my director told me I had to go to this centre to get my alien registration card updated.

It's easy to spot as it's immediately to the right once you cross over to the the side of the road where City Hall is located.



I went in and grabbed a ticket for the cue, which immediately rang once I had drawn my number. I spoke with a translator who informed me that I needed to go to either the Immigration Office, where I was issued my card, or to the City Hall in Seogwipo.

The Immigration Office was the closest, so we jumped into another cab and we were off again.



After finishing our business, we had enough time to grab a quick sandwich before getting back on the bus for home. If you want to know where to get the best sandwiches on the island, go to Paris Baguette in Jeju-si, near City Hall. They serve an amazing sandwich, even by Western standards.

For 4500 won you get a sesame toasted baguette bun loaded with meat, really decent cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and some butter I believe.

If you love sandwiches, and are finding yourself craving one on Jeju, this is what you'll want to get:



When I got back to Shinsikaji, I went to my school a bit early, to prepare some games for the day. It was our bi-monthly cuny party day, and I was responsible for arranging the games. I spent the whole afternoon with a co-teacher playing games with the kids; it was a great way to end the work week.

No comments: