Friday, March 20, 2009

Sudden Attack

It's probably the most popular computer game at PC rooms around Korea at the moment, but Sudden Attack is more than just a game; it's a way of life here in Korea.

Some of you may be confused, I'm not actually referring to the game as being a part of life, although some may argue that gaming in Korea has had a major impact on it's society, and not the good kind either.

I'm referring to how many Koreans like to suddenly "attack" you with random requests/information at the last possible moment. As English teachers working in Korea, we come to expect it from time to time, some have even gotten used to it, but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

For example, just last week I was informed that my pension was closing down, and that I will have to be moved out by tomorrow. My Director had already been looking, but didn't bother to tell me anything until just last week. The replacement apartment he found is a paradise, so I'm not too upset about it, but I would have appreciated a little more warning.

Just this week, however, I was approached with another "sudden attack" scenario. I had just finished my first class Monday afternoon when my co-teacher informed me that I was going to be teaching two new students this week; he gave me option, teach the two in one class (adding another class period to my schedule) or combine them with the class I had just taught. I didn't want to have to teach an extra class for only two students, so I thought combining them would be the better choice.

But since I had already taught the class, I would have to teach them at a separate time this week. I thought to myself, why didn't they just ask me before I started the class, avoiding this altogether. So now my options were to teach them during one of my free periods, on Thursday or Friday. I went with Thursday, but then was later informed that another teacher needed that time off, so I would have to accept Friday.

So Friday rolls around, and I arrive at my school to find that I'm not just teaching two kids, but the whole combined class now, which I wouldn't have had to teach if I didn't combine them, or if they had just told me last week/before I started my classes Monday afternoon.

I ended up teaching this screaming class of new children that speak no English at all, and are just loud noise making machines, not exactly how I wanted it to go, but that's "sudden attack" for you; apparently I'm not very good at this game...yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your name "Sudden Attack" better than what I've been calling it - "I Just Found Out..." fill in the blank. Like when my new hagwon director had me sign a contract in January for a March 1 start date, but didn't tell me until the second day of work that he didn't actually have enough students for TWO foreign teachers. Um, and you knew this when? Glad your new place is a paradise. Mine, not so much.

Marcie

Jroc said...

I was also thinking that "Sudden Attack" could describe the 'poking you in the but' game that Korean children love so much...I've learned to keep aware when the children are hovering around you.