Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Delicious 오리 고기

I never thought I would like eating 오리 고기 (oh-lee go-gi or "duck meat") so much, but after trying it several times here on Jeju, I'm starting to like it. The first time I tried it was with Brian and Mike, right here in Shinsikaji.



That was way back in December, which seems almost like a life time ago now. Since then, I've been to a few duck restaurants and have tried several variations.

On Sunday evening, I was out with some friends in Jeju-si and had the opportunity to try out some pumpkin roasted duck; I know it sounds strange, but it tastes quite nice.



It doesn't look like the most appetizing thing, but once you try it with the honey mustard dipping sauce, you're in for a surprise. I don't know the exact directions to the restaurant, but it's out in Samyang, just off the main street.

Much like other galbi restaurants, you're served the lettuce leaves with peppers, some onions, and hot bean paste. There are no shortage of side dishes and new treats to explore for those feeling adventurous. The duck is also marinated with some kind of BBQ sauce and has cooked mushrooms and garlic cloves; yum!

After you finish your main meal, you're served this delightful sesame spicy soup with loads of veggies. If the duck didn't fill you up, the soup will certainly help. That's one thing I've noticed about Korean meals, rarely do you ever go hungry, or even finish everything.



Just yesterday I went out my 해동검도 class to another nearby duck restaurant. This time the duck was served in marinated in a wok, cooked for a bit and then mixed with marinated green onions and veggies...it tasted fantastic. They give you this ice soup broth as a side dish, which helps to take the edge off the spice if it's too hot. Afterwards they mix in rice, similar to 닭갈비.

Anyway, if you haven't had duck before, you're missing out. I recommend stopping in a 오리 restaurant next time you're looking to try something new for dinner. Bon appétit! 잘막겠습니다!

No comments: